Funded by the European Commission, UP2030 is part of the innovation actions to support the implementation of the Climate-neutral and Smart Cities Mission. In 36-months, the project supports cities in driving the sociotechnical transitions required to meet their climate neutrality targets by 2030. The project looks for transformative changes in pilot cities by applying the 5UP approach: UpDating, UpSkilling, UpGrading, UpScaling, and UpTaking. Through co-development and implementation of science-based methods and tools, this programme guides cities to deliver across the values of equity, resilience, neutrality, and sustainability.
UP2030 sets demonstrators in 8 European pilot cities: Milan (IT), Rotterdam (NL), Zagreb (HR), Thessaloniki (EL), Granollers (ES), Budapest (HU), Lisbon (PT), and Muenster (DE); 2 cities from associate countries: Istanbul (TR), and Belfast (UK); and 1 city from emerging economies: Rio de Janeiro (BR).
The project identifies their needs, barriers, and drivers towards neutrality, in order to establish the baseline conditions for each city. Visions are co-designed to address innovation in three keys, and interrelated, urban planning and design domains: (i) connected, (ii) compact and (iii) net-zero cities. The cities are encouraged to develop and implement roadmaps to translate their visions into practical actions, including customization and evolution of existing tools and approaches.
Lessons from UP2030 are analysed, extracted, and offered in “replication and transferability packages” to cities outside the project. An open-access training program on “urban planning and design for climate neutral and smart cities” is included within the outcomes. The project also plans to create synergies with the EU Missions on cities and initiatives to optimise use of resources and maximise impact.
Citizen’s engagement is crucial for the success of the project, as they are an integral part of the transition’s pathways of the pilot cities. They shall become agents of change through their sustainable behavioural shifts and lifestyle decisions.
The consortium of UP2030 is led by Fraunhofer IAO and comprises of a total of 47 partners from 14 countries. The project started on January 1st, 2023. The kick-off meeting of UP2030 was held on 1st and 2nd February 2023, at Thessaloniki, Greece. Within these two days all partners contributed with their innovative ideas, expertise, and enthusiasm to establish a fruitful collaboration in all project activities.
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FORDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG EV
- ADELPHI RESEARCH GEMEINNUTZIGE GMBH
- BURO HAPPOLD GMBH
- DESIGN CLIPS IDIOTIKI KEFALAIOUCHIKI ETAIREIA
- GREENADAPT GESELLSCHAFT FUER KLIMAANPASSUNG MBH
- I-CATALIST SL
- STICHTING ISOCARP INSTITUTE CENTER OF URBAN EXCELLENCE
- STELLMACH THOMAS
- TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITEIT DELFT
- UNIVERSITAT INTERNACIONAL DE CATALUNYA
- GLOBAL GREEN GROWTH INSTITUTE
- ICLEI EUROPEAN SECRETARIAT GMBH (ICLEI EUROPASEKRETARIAT GMBH)
- STICHTING GLOBAL RESILIENT CITIES NETWORK
- URBAN CLIMATE CHANGE RESEARCH NETWORK - EUROPEAN HUB APS
- AQUATEC PROYECTOS PARA EL SECTOR DEL AGUA SA
- CETAQUA, CENTRO TECNOLOGICO DEL AGUA, FUNDACION PRIVADA
- PRAVO I INTERNET FOUNDATION
- LABORATORIO NACIONAL DE ENGENHARIA CIVIL
- ANAPTYXIAKI MEIZONOS ASTIKIS THESSALONIKIS AE - ANAPTYXIAKOS ORGANISMOS TOPIKIS AUTODIOIKISIS
- MIDDLE EAST TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
- UNIVERSITY OF STUTTGART
- VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL
- ETHNIKO KENTRO EREVNAS KAI TECHNOLOGIKIS ANAPTYXIS
- FUNDACION CIRCE CENTRO DE INVESTIGACION DE RECURSOS Y CONSUMOS ENERGETICOS
- STICHTING DELTARES
- DRAXIS ENVIRONMENTAL SA
- DREVEN SRL
- ODTU GUNES ENERJISI UYGULAMA VE ARA STIRMA MERKEZI
- FONDAZIONE LINKS - LEADING INNOVATION & KNOWLEDGE FOR SOCIETY
- MAGGIOLI SPA
- UNIVERSITAT POLITECNICA DE VALENCIA
- VESELA MOTIKA D.O.O. ZA PROIZVODNJU TRGOVINU I USLUGE
- BUDAPEST FOVAROS ONKORMANYZATA
- AJUNTAMENT DE GRANOLLERS
- Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
- CAMARA MUNICIPAL DE LISBOA
- LISBOA E-NOVA - AGENCIA DE ENERGIA E AMBIENTE DE LISBOA
- COMUNE DI MILANO
- STADT MUNSTER
- GEMEENTE ROTTERDAM
- DIMOS THESSALONIKIS
- GRAD ZAGREB
- EIDGENOESSISCHE TECHNISCHE HOCHSCHULE ZUERICH
- MAPPING FOR CHANGE CIC
- THE CHANCELLOR MASTERS AND SCHOLARS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE
- Belfast City Council
Learn more and be part of UP2030 community…!https://up2030-he.eu/
Trinidad Fernandez; Fraunhofer IAO; Project coordinator.