Scalable Measures for Automated Recognition Technologies (SMART)
Projects / Completed
Period: June 2011 - May 2014
Contacts: George Dimitrov
The SMART’s approach combines a technical review of key application with a review of existing pertinent legislation with the aim to analyze the smart surveillance technologies. The project first focuses on one meaning of “measures” i.e. it uses expertise from police and security forces from inside and outside the EU to “measure” (as in “calculate”) risk factors in a number of priority application areas for smart surveillance technologies including border control, crowd-control, counter-terrorism and e-government. It also evaluates the available safeguards for on-line surveillance and associated risks inherent in data-sharing and exchange. The project moves on to create a tool-kit which would be useful to system designers, policy makers and legislative draftsmen across Europe. At this stage the project turns to a second meaning of “measures” i.e. it would bring to bear significant EU-wide expertise in data protection legislation in order to prepare a draft model law which would contain a number of measures providing adequate safeguards for the data subject and thus rendering use of smart surveillance compliant with CFD 2008/977/JHA and other applicable regulations.
Law and Internet Foundation’s team participate as a coordinator of Working package "Smart Surveillance in Key Area of Application 4 – e-Government".
SMART is implemented with the financial support of European Commission under Seventh Framework Programme, contract number 261727.
For further information please visit the project website at http://smartsurveillance.eu/
- SMART Final Steering Committee Meeting in Brussels, Belgium
- SMART Final Conference „Smarter Law for Smart Surveillance” in Brussels, Belgium
- SMART Interim Steering Committee Meeting in Perth, Australia
- SMART Conference „Smart Surveillance: Global Perspectives”
- SMART Interim Steering Committee Meeting in Fiumicino, Italy
- SMART Final Conference ‘Smarter Law For Smart Surveillance’ only 10 days away!
- Call for Papers - Final Conference "Smarter Law For Smart Surveillance" of the SMART Project
- Call for Papers "Smart Surveillance: Global Perspectives" of the SMART project - Submission Deadline Extended
- Call for Papers "Smart Surveillance: Global Perspectives" of the SMART project
- Conference "Intelligent Investigation. Challenges & Chances"